Friday, October 07, 2005

more sewing


First off, let me just say that I adore this dress. I used a pattern that I had used previously: unfortunately, I fudged a little bit cause I didn't have quite enough fabric, and added a lining, and the end product turned out just a teeny bit too small. You can't really tell in the picture, but it's not quite wearable - yet.

The straps and detail around the bodice are brown satin ribbon, the fabric is another vintage piece from my late grandmother's stash. Check out the tigers!! You just can't get fabric like that anymore. I can't wait until I can actually wear it. :)



This dress used a Vogue pattern that's the closest I've ever come to coture sewing. It was a long and painful process, with everything cut on the bias and 1/8" rolled hems instead of facings, but the end product is worth it (I think, anyway :-P). I'm usually compulsive about my sewing, but I put perfection aside for the hem, because I'm the only person who's ever going to know. It looks fine...from the outside. The inside is another story. The heavy green satin was purchased at Jomar's in Philly for $2.00/yard. I still have 3 or so yards left.

The shoes, incidentally, are real leather Steve Madden pumps, which I got on clearance for twenty-five bucks. :-D

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where have all the flowers gone?

Anonymous said...

I love the dress! Is there any way to get a better shot of the fabric, it's a bit hard to see. I love the way it looks though. Ohhh, I'm soooo jealous of your skills! Damnit, Dustin! You need to teach me to sew *pouts*

Amanda said...

I'm going to try to get a better pic of the fabric...the dress is at home and I'm going back soon. :)

Anonymous said...

Did you ever get that picture you promised???